Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chillin' with Elvis.

Today I had lunch with my daughter. We went to this great Vietnamese place called Monkey Bridge, right here in my hood, Ballard.
It was one of those lunches that you will remember. Forever. If you are a Mom, you know that type. I was sitting across from her and just watched as she fought to use her chop sticks. I just smiled and laughed as she chewed out her shrimp from her fresh roll, then picked out all the bean sprouts- every bit her father's daughter. 
I noticed others watching her too, I love that. When they get to see a child happy and tear free in a restaurant. I mean, there are plenty of times when she is screaming her face off (in which, we leave) but today seemed somewhat perfect. Aside from the 3 trips to the bathroom (potty training in full force), it was absolutely fantastic, although the bathroom breaks didn't really take anything away from it, other than the heat from my lemongrass beef noodle bowl.
I really cherish these moments, just like when my son was 2. Although my life was different then, I am still very much the same Mother. I parent the same. I don't have more or less patients, I don't know more or less about the job. It's strange, a lot of people I talk to say they are better parents now, after the first one but for me I really think it was a switch. I'm not sure if it was when I got pregnant or when I first saw his face, on 12.21.00- I was this person.
I mean, I have learned a lot, I know more about life but the Motherly things, totally the same.
I intend to always feel this way. Some days I am at my absolute worst, but some days, I feel as though I could never get any better. I know, in truth, neither of those are true. I will never be a bad Mother and I will always be able to be better. That's a comforting thought. I am going to enjoy that for a minute, because you know, this may come as a surprise, but I am making all this shit up as I go along! Ha! I mean, really, I am just making it up, but it is always the truth.
Thank you again, all my faithful readers. I feel like I can spread a bit of punch you in the gut, slap your ass and spit in your face news. I am pregnant! Yep. We are adding our third, and final, Daly installment in early June. 

4 comments:

  1. Holy diapers Batman! And then there were 5. Congratulations! I guess this post further explains the "Throwing in the Towel" post from a bit ago. Cherish each blessed minute of the process... they grow up far too fast. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! What exciting news! I hope you are feeling well - you must be to be eating lemongrass beef soup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny you said that, There was a point when I just stopped eating it and during one of our bathroom breaks, they packed it up for me. I walked out and immediately threw it away- the thought of it now makes my mouth water, in a bad way. The place is still amazing but there will be no more Asian style anything for me- totally par to the course of my pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news :) Fantastic! Congrats from Berlin!!

    ReplyDelete