Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Oh Christmas tree





Yesterday we set out to get out tree.  It was about damn time.
We had actually planned on getting it when Eddie was with us, but with our delightful holiday traffic, we were a day behind and just did not make it work. Somehow putting our pajamas on and watching a movie seemed like it made more sense, and it did. It always does, but then I get left holding the tree... er, um bag or whatever that saying is.
There are a lot of things that families do that we do minus Eddie. This is part of the deal. It bothers me on the very bottom tier of things, I mean, it sucks not having my husband there at the tree lot, or the first day of school. It's hard to go to friends dinner and birthday parties alone- but this is your life Charlie Brown!! I'm into it. I do difficult. That's just what suits me, it's the straw I chose. I'm not complaining. I am just spreading the word to all the sons and daughters out there. Rock n roll is (when it's your real life) more complex than you'd think.
So with my boeuf bourguignon in the oven, one toddler in the stroller, one dog on a leash and my son by my side, we set out to get that tree. 
You may be wondering why we are walking a dog and pushing a stroller if we are in fact going to get a Christmas tree. No we don't get it delivered, we walk that sucker back to our house.
It was freezing outside and somehow perfect. It wasn't raining and in Seattle, you consider yourself lucky when it's not. I would have appreciated some snow though.
Our tree lot is pretty close, it's about 7 blocks away, we have gone there for 10 years now. I can't imagine getting our tree elsewhere, it's like our thing. We shop for produce there year round and the trees are fantastic. Although we do things a little differently. We don't go for the the huge, full beautiful tree. We do the opposite. Quattro's idea. He wants the tree that most likely will not sell and every year we get just that. This year was no exception, our tree has two tops, the base is split in the middle and comes up with two arms- it is the horned hand. Sold!

1 comment:

  1. Elvis looks like she's taking a smoke break in the second photo.

    ReplyDelete