Thursday, September 8, 2011

9.9.09

On the eve of my daughters 2nd birthday I am taken back to the eve of her birth. I guess that's natural, it's heavy tonight though.
That night as I tucked my then 3rd grader in for bed on the night before school and the birth of his little sister, I remember thinking how much I loved being a parent.
I have never really loved doing anything too much to do it too long.
That makes me sound... odd I guess, but that is just the facts.
I liked doing everything once or twice, then I was over it.
Not parenting.
As Eddie and I put the finishing touches on our house that we would leave in hands of my Mother, I remember looking at the bathtub (that I could no longer get into) and thinking about the little girl I would bathe, the new bath toys that would no doubt line the bottom.
I walked up the stairs and thought "how in the hell am I going to go up and down those stairs with a baby, a toddler?". But I do. Everyday.
I thought about the living room and how we would have to make room for dolls and tea sets, something our living room had lived without.
Seeing Quattro's face as an only child, that last time, I had a moment of sadness.
He would no longer be everything to me, he would be one of my children, not my only child.

My life has never been the same since 9.9.09 at 8:16 a.m. Neither has my house.
I walk around and see all the dolls, the tub is full of classic rubber duckies and tomorrow a doll that not only goes into the bath- but she pees.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, a very Happy Birthday to Elvis :)
    All the best to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading your blog over the last week front to back, my BFF recommended it, she thought of me she said because I have a husband who travels extensively while I stay with the kiddos (10 year old twins and an 18 month old) our stories share an certain infrastructure while maintaining different facades. I wanted to thank you for sharing your story, it's so easy to feel isolated when steeped in my own reality for too long. Happy belated birthday to your little lady and keep blogging, you are pretty great and your recipe for manicotti was pretty bitchin' too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really good to hear. Especially today.
    Just knowing that there is someone out there that thinks what I say is somewhat relevant in any way makes me feel good about the direction I'm in.
    Keep reading, keep posting and fwd this garbage on!!

    ReplyDelete